Friday, August 19, 2011

Contentment

Recently I discovered (or perhaps finally admitted) bitterness in my life... bitterness about my current singleness. Perhaps it's more that I'm single again because I'm now divorced that's made me bitter. I don't know. Anyhow, after I identified it, I prayed about it and asked God what I should do about it... it felt awful and I realised it had really been eating away at me.

Then God reminded me of a well-known verse, that we also looked at in our series on Ephesians recently at church, 'Get rid of all bitterness...' (4:31). In my experience of this verse previously, the focus has been on getting rid of anger (mentioned later in the verse) - the bitterness part has been skipped over. But it's clear, this one's black-and-white, God tells me to GET RID OF BITTERNESS. It has no part in the life of a follower of Jesus. Bitterness = a focus on my circumstances not on Jesus.

I also thought more about contentment, that when we are content, there is no room for bitterness. As Paul wrote, 'I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.' Philippians 4:11b-13

No comments: