Wednesday, December 8, 2010

'If there is a God, do you think He could bring me some sense of peace?'

A few weeks ago I was flicking through the channels on TV and came across 'The Big C'. It intrigued me - watching someone deal, in a very real way, with the terrible news that they have cancer. Apart from the excessive use of the F word, and various inappropriate (in my view...) sexual references, I've wanted to keep watching the show just to see how she deals with the situation, how others react, etc.

In tonight's episode she asked this question of an older friend who went to church:

'If there is a God, do you think He could bring me some sense of peace?'

The old lady made a joke in response to the question, but it made me think, if a friend asked me the same question, how would I respond? I do believe God can give us a sense of peace, I have experienced it at times, but I don't always experience it.

Did a search on Bible Gateway for verses about peace, and I think this verse explains it well:

Philippians 4:6-7 (New International Version, ©2010)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

The key to experiencing the peace that God offers is in verse 6, that's why I don't often experience it, because I worry instead of praying and thanking God. But it confirms that definitely we CAN experience God's peace.

Has anyone else seen 'The Big C'. What did you think of it?

I wonder if the idea for the series came about after 'The Bucket List'? That was a great movie, definitely a tear-jerker!

No comments: