Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My New Mentor

There's nothing quite like a fresh, hot cup of tea and banana bread when you're not feeling 100%.  Mmm.

This morning  I met with new mentor.  Sometimes I think we need to get to a really low point to realise we need to make some changes in our lives - not that I'm suggesting I want this to happen often, but I see the way that God's used the tough stuff to help me grow.  A few weeks back was one of those low points and I think there were a few actions I need to take, one of them being to find a new mentor.  I had a mentor last year when we were living on College Campus, but since moving off I hadn't got around to finding another one.

I'm also excited that another good friend, who was also my mentor a few years back, has suggested we start a peer mentor group, which her husband's researching and preparing materials for as part of his College studies.  Interesting how we usually assume mentors have to be a one-on-one relationship.  What a great idea to have a few of us who can mentor each other in a group setting.  Not sure who the others will be as yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, this morning was good, except that poor Sarah's really sick so we didn't really get to chat about certain stuff.  Sarah now has a habit of saying, "Stop talking, Mummy, stop talking" if she's getting worried by what I'm talking about.  Good reminder to be careful what I say in front of her.

I'm really looking forward to having some people to encourage and challenge me spiritually again.  I feel like I've been in the desert for a while.  Yeah, Church is good, but it's not the same as smaller group settings where you can be really open and honest and pray with each other one-to-one.  As a Mum, it's a real challenge finding time, and emotional energy, to do this.  I miss Bible Studies, although on that front last Friday I joined a group of ladies from Thornleigh Baps who meet weekly and have been looking at Jeremiah.  It was excellent - what a great bunch of ladies who want to keep growing in God and seek to glorify Him despite the challenges we face in every day life.

Thanks Lord for leading me through the desert, and for using the tough stuff to redirect me and help me grow.  Please help me to allow you to mould and shape me, even when it hurts, knowing that You're my Strength and Refuge.

No comments: