Saturday, April 24, 2010

Friendship

This afternoon my amazing parents said they'd look after the girls while I went for a walk. As I was walking I listened to my iPod and resisted the urge to sing along. 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus' by Mary Mary was one of the songs playing and it got me pondering more about friendship.

What makes a good friend? How can I be a good friend? Am I a good friend?

Makes me think about some of the friendships I've lost (or people I've lost touch with), and some that I hope I haven't lost.

I like this summary of friendship from gospel.com based on Proverbs 27:17, 'As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.'

A good friend is not someone who necessarily agrees with everything you do and say--it's somebody who lovingly challenges you to be a better person. We grow in maturity when we can test our thoughts and ideas against another person, and when we're open to correction when we're wrong.

No comments: