Thursday, November 18, 2010

He's already at work

'For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.' John 6:38

What does God want me to do? Should I continue with a particular ministry? There are so many decisions to be made on an ongoing basis. Sometimes making these decisions is tough and confusing.

Yesterday I went to a 'mission shaped evangelism' seminar and John North shared some great thoughts about letting Jesus minister to others through us right where we are, right now. I realised I've often been so caught up in thinking where God wants me next that I miss opportunities He has for me right now. John explained that where we are right now is right where God wants us to be - where we've living, the people we're in relationship with, the activities we're involved with - and that God is already at work in the lives of these people and He wants us to join Him in what He's already doing.

John also suggested that at times we can come up with our own ideas in ministry and ask God to bless our great idea, instead of looking at where He's already at work and being a part of what He's already doing. It occurred to me that there's a particular idea I had in my life and have been wanting God to 'bless', all the while He's been asking me to let go of my idea, and let Him show me His idea, when He's ready to show me. John suggested three simple steps in thinking through what we should do - reading the Bible, prayer (prayer that listens!), and a commitment to be obedient.

I'm really glad I was able to go along yesterday, to be reminded of God's sovereignty, and to be encouraged to relax in His will where He's put me right now.

No comments: