Friday, November 5, 2010

Something's missing

Since talking through some of the stuff I've been reading in 'How to get a date worth keeping' by Henry Cloud, I've discovered one of the things that agitates me about the book so far - it seems to focus on what I (emphasis on I) can do, rather than what God can do.

I believe we do also play our part, but I also believe we should be seeking God's guidance, and talking to Him about the decisions we make, big and small. I'm guessing Elisabeth Elliot will focus more on this 'missing' aspect, and perhaps Henry will later in the book.

I do appreciate his emphasis on learning to enjoy the journey though, to relax and have fun, and to accept that this will involve taking risks. I guess I want those to be risks that I take with God, rather than on my own to simply satisfy my own desires.

No comments: