Sunday, November 14, 2010

Truth vs Feelings

If you've read any of my blogs, you'll most likely have seen that I have a tendency to think with my heart first. I'm an F in Myers-Briggs.

A few weeks ago our Pastor spoke of the importance of listening to God's truth in the Bible, as opposed to our feelings. This is something my Dad often tells me, but I usually rebel when he tells me - my pride gets the better of me and I just wish he'd leave me alone. When the pastor said it, I was more accepting of it, and I've been sitting on it for a few weeks and thinking more about it here and there.

My feelings scream all sorts of negative messages, and as I listen to them I worry and they become overwhelming. But when I finally challenge my feelings and look to God and His Word, he helps transform my thinking, to put my 'problems' in perspective, to remind me of His promises, of His undeserved grace and of His promise to guide my steps if I trust Him with all my heart and stop leaning on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Aagh, such a struggle. To listen to the truth rather than my feelings.


No comments: