Friday, August 27, 2010

Friendship

I've been thinking a lot about friendship of late. It's amazing how much you learn out of a broken relationship. Still so much to learn, but I'm learning more about what I value in a friendship, and what I potentially bring to a friendship. I guess mistakes are an opportunity to reflect, and think about how you’d like to do things differently in the future.

One of my best friends was the first person I phoned after finding out some pretty devastating news last year, and she offered to come and spend the night with me - it meant so much to have her there, to be able to cry with her, have her pray with me, and just be together. I was talking with her about friendship yesterday, particularly in relation to guy/girl friendships, and she reminded me that there will always be an element of risk in relationships, but that honesty is really important, knowing you can be up front with each other.

Friendship. Someone else suggested that appreciating friendship is learning to live in the moment – learning to value a person and their friendship for what we bring to each other’s lives in the here and now. Friendship. So many issues yet to be explored.

No comments: