Monday, August 23, 2010

To date or not to date

The sermon on Sunday night was on relationships. I was hoping it’d be about relationships in general, but it seemed to focus on male/female relationships. I was a bit worried about it being a little too close to home, and how I’d react – sure enough my reaction was pretty much as I expected, had a good old cry.

Something else that stood out in that book ‘Boy meets girl’ was a comment that the girl in one of the stories had to learn to submit her emotions to God. Sometimes I hate my emotions!!!!

Why do I have to spill the beans when I’m interested in a guy, and ruin a potential friendship? Why do I then avoid him like the plague?

After church a friend and I were chatting about the idea of dating and she recommended a book by Henry Cloud. She said that in it he suggests going on as many dates as possible, and that going on a date doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get married. True. But initially my reaction was one of caution - I’m not sure it’s such a good idea, especially in my situation now. This idea might also be easier for people who are extroverts, and people who thrive on building new relationships, and for those who are more easily able to remain objective (and not overly emotional). Maybe it's the term 'date' that I have a problem with as it sounds more like a commitment, even though I guess it's not necessarily.

Not even sure why I’m worrying about it really – it’s not like there are opportunities jumping out at me ;-)

No comments: