Monday, June 28, 2010

Guy leads, lady follows

Had a fabulous time Ceroc dancing tonight, despite the fact that I can't dance!! At one point in the beginners class I had to dance with the instructor and he pulled me up for not following his lead... whoops. He then highlighted the fact that the guy leads, the lady follows. I like that. My job (following) should be much simpler than the guys, but for some reason I really struggled with it.

One of the guys I danced with later said something that made me realise perhaps the core of the problem for me is trust (or lack of). The girls had been asked to close our eyes while the guys led us. He could obviously see I was a bit uncomfortable and said, 'It's OK, I can see what's going on, just trust me'. Hmmm.

I think another issue for me was that if I was waiting, I felt like I had to be doing something, and so tried to anticipate what the guy wanted me to do next. As one experienced guy said, 'relax, keep breathing'. Think I need to do that more often in life generally.

What a great night. Lots of laughs. Lots of learning.

Looking forward to next week - a two week trial before I decide whether I continue. At this stage thinking I probably will.

2 comments:

Tim Haynes said...

I've done ceroc and yes, it can be frustrating having the girls lead. I enjoyed it more with the girls that knew how to follow a lead.

After all, the bloke needs to learn how to lead as well as both learning the steps. If he doesn't lead you then you are entitled to not move. If you were doing a freelance dance you have to rely on his lead.

hope you keep going and have fun

Alison said...

yeah, i'm impressed with the guys who do it well - the guy definitely has the more difficult job. went again tonight and it was heaps of fun - finally getting better at following and just going with the flow. helping me to learn to relax...