Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Laughter

I visited an older friend who's like a Grandma to me in hospital this morning. There were a few periods of silence where I thought it would have been good to have a couple of jokes (appropriate ones of course) up my sleeve to take her mind off the hospital, though she seemed in pretty good spirits considering what had happened. She's a woman who trusts God and loves Him, so I shared a verse that's been special to me of late and we prayed together. She loves her food and she was eating when I arrived, so I guess that probably helped. Maybe spare food in my pocket might be better for when I visit her? ;-)

Anyway, thinking of laughter, on the way home I was thinking about stuff and on came this song that's often playing on 103.2 - One Step at a Time. I reckon God has a sense of humour - after all He was the one who created laughter.

I was looking up laughter on Bible Gateway to find the Proverb that mentions it being like medicine, and came across these verses in Genesis 21:

5 Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.

6 Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." 7 And she added, "Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age."


Just thought it was interesting that she used the word laughter. I also realised the verse I was thinking of actually says a cheerful heart is good medicine (Proverbs 17:22). Oh well. Still think laughter is good.

No comments: