Friday, September 17, 2010

The devil is in the detail

One of my old bosses always used to say that the devil is in the detail. She was a big picture person, and she hated the details. I, as her PA, was the opposite. Now that I think about it, there may be more to the phrase than I ever realised before.

Definitely for me, sometimes the details have confused the more general message God has given me. I'm not saying details aren't important, I think they are - but sometimes they can be a distraction, and may be my heart confusing God's original, simple message. The disciples didn't know all the details when Jesus called them to follow Him, they just followed. They just looked at Jesus.

Just discovered this version of Psalm 46:10, from The Message. Love it!

8-10 Attention, all! See the marvels of God!
He plants flowers and trees all over the earth,
Bans war from pole to pole,
breaks all the weapons across his knee.
"Step out of the traffic! Take a long,
loving look at me, your High God,
above politics, above everything."

No comments: