Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It's not always about doing

This is what the Sovereign Lord,
the Holy One of Israel, says:
“Only in returning to me
and resting in me will you be saved.
In quietness and confidence is your strength."

Isaiah 30:15 (New Living Translation)

I had to read the 'resting in me' bit a few times - initially it didn't make sense. As someone who likes to get on and do things, I was a bit baffled for a while. But then suddenly it started to make sense. God has done it all.

I remembered back to Sunday morning's message, that Jesus is the heart of the gospel. Only by resting in Him will we be saved! It's not about what I do, it's about resting in Him and what He has already done on the cross. Sure, as we rest in Him He propels us forward to do stuff, but not the other way around.

'Only in returning to me and resting in me'. God reminds me to get my priorities right, to seek first His Kingdom, to rest in Him. Instead of trying to figure out what to do, there are times when I need to just rest in Him. That's all. Rest. Why do I find that so hard?!

No comments: