Friday, October 22, 2010

The black cloth and the gospel

There are some days where the weight of the black cloth seems so heavy - I find myself thinking and saying things I know I shouldn't think, I find myself trying to live my life independent of God because trusting Him means stepping out into the unknown and that scares me. I'm often so focused on my own needs and hurts that I don't see other people's needs and hurts and support them.

The black cloth. Sin. I heard the analogy last night about jewellers placing diamond rings on black cloths to make them sparkle even more, and look even more beautiful.

The diamond ring. The gospel. I finally realised that the gospel is about more than just Jesus (though He is at the heart of it!) - some other religions also believe in Jesus, but they don't believe the gospel. They don't believe that first we rebelled (and continue to rebel) against God, that Jesus lived a sinless life on earth and then paid the price for our sin by dying on the cross and being raised back to life so that we might enjoy relationship with God and the promise of hope for eternity with Him.

OK, there will be people who don't understand the term 'the gospel' at first (none of us did!), but that's why someone needs to share the message of all that Jesus has done for them, and the hope that He offers.

The black cloth is an important part of the story, but it's only the beginning. The gospel turns the black cloth into something special that can be used to the glory of God.

I read this last night, 'We were ultimately designed to find true joy, identity and purpose in God, but man sinned (Gen 3), which changed everything!' It hurt to read these words, because I realised how often I don't find my joy, identity and purpose in God. I seek after 'created' things, rather than the Creator Himself. When God is just waiting for me to come to Him so He can offer me true joy, identity and purpose.

No comments: