Friday, October 1, 2010

TomTom

I scored Dad's old iphone recently, complete with various apps he used, including the 'TomTom' GPS thingy.

Overall it's been excellent - had to visit an older friend who's like my grandma in hospital today, so used the TomTom to navigate there, then discovered she had been moved (thanks to the hospital for not telling us!!!). So had to use it again to get to Longueville - only thing I know about Longueville is that we had a work team building day at the Bowling Club there a few years ago. Thankfully the TomTom was able to guide me there.

The only thing that is rather off-putting is when it needs to recalculate the route. Every now and again it would tell me to turn back even though I thought I'd followed the directions I'd been given. Wondering whether it's when you go too quickly and it needs time to catch up or something (though not sure how you slow down on main roads without getting run up the back of), I can't figure it out, it was rather confusing, especially when it directed through some back streets near our place - I ended up going in circles for a bit. Had no idea where I was so just laughed and kept trusting it would eventually help me get home, otherwise would have resorted to the good old street directory.

Speaking of confusion, I also felt a bit upset when I arrived to visit my friend and she asked me who I was, whether I was the physiotherapist or something. When I told her it was me it was like the light-bulb went on, but she's definitely losing it a bit. Getting old is so sad!

And now I have half a day to get all the work I was hoping to start a few hours ago done...

No comments: