Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Exploding relationships

I'm having one of those moments when I feel like my head's going to explode with so many questions and things to think about. Yesterday I came across this interesting video related to the question, should girls pursue guys? My head says of course not! In an ideal world the guy should pursue the girl - he should be the leader, that's the way God designed it.

But my heart gets the better of me more often than not. In the video, it's suggested that guy/girl relationships should follow God's example - He chose His bride (us - the church) first, and He came after us. I think I agree that this should be the model for guy/girl relationships, but it also raises some questions.

I was chatting with a bunch of ladies about the issue this morning and one recommended the book 'Passion and Purity' by Elisabeth Elliot. Earlier today I had planned to head over to Koorong to buy the book I'd read about on the website, thought it'd be an interesting read. But after speaking to these ladies thought I wouldn't rush straight out just yet. Maybe I'll get Passion and Purity instead?

Found this interesting interview with Elisabeth Elliot about a response from a 17 year old boy to her book. He wrote, 'Elisabeth was extremely careful not to reveal her feelings for Jim. If she did, she would become the initiator and deny God her whole self.' I never really thought of it like that. He also wrote, 'Christians need to realize that God does not always want to take something away from us, but He wants to take us away from ourselves and our selfish flesh.'

I guess ultimately the key is our relationship with God - taking everything to Him, committing everything to Him, trusting Him in everything... though this is hard to do in practice!!

No comments: