Thursday, October 14, 2010

Why 'the gospel' and not Jesus?

One of my pet peeves has been (and still is) references to 'the gospel' instead of Jesus. Maybe it's time for me to get over this? Maybe it shouldn't make me agitated, maybe it's a good thing?

I'm assuming the majority of the time when people say 'the gospel' the intention is that this incorporates Jesus' life, death and resurrection. But why do we use the term 'the gospel' instead of talking about Jesus?

Sounds kind of silly, but I wonder whether we can end up worshiping 'the gospel' instead of Jesus? I guess it depends on our definition of the gospel. But it's a bit like the Bible, it's an essential part of our knowing Jesus, but we don't worship the Bible, we worship Jesus.

Anyhow, if references to the gospel point people to Jesus then I'm all for them. As long as it ends up being about Jesus. Maybe I'm just confusing myself?!

No comments: