Saturday, May 22, 2010

Helping People Abroad

This afternoon we went to a 'Survive Past 5 Birthday Party', raising awareness about what we can do to help kids across the world survive past the age of 5. Heard some devastating facts about people in developing countries - that every minute, a woman dies of preventable complications related to pregnancy and childbirth, and that last year, 8.8 million children died before their 5th Birthday, most from easily preventable causes. We are so fortunate living here in Australia.

The party did get me thinking more about what part I can play in it all - money isn't always the solution though I'm sure it plays an important part if it's used wisely. When we went to Malawi and Mozambique we saw the way the Global Interaction team worked alongside the locals to help improve their quality of life. They were looking at teaching practical skills - like providing education to help them improve hygiene. Great stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out what response God would have me make - I'd like to know what I can do practically. I'm a bit skeptical about the value of writing to our politicians - though maybe that's wrong?

One thing I'll definitely be doing more is praying for people in developing countries and those seeking to help them. But I don't want to assume that means I don't need to do anything more myself.

Your thoughts?

No comments: