Friday, May 7, 2010

Ouch

I read this last night, but it wasn't until I re-read it this morning that I was really challenged by it. Ouch. Earlier this year I was given one particularly clear instruction - have I obeyed it? Occasionally yes, but generally no. It's a constant battle. It's a challenge specific to Alison, an area God knows I need to grow in. Maybe I need more accountability in this area?

*******

Title: Why Guidance is Not Given

Author: Elisabeth Elliot

Sometimes we are perplexed because guidance does not come when we ask for it.

Some of the elders of Israel came to consult the Lord and were sitting with the prophet Ezekiel. The word of the Lord through him was, "As I live, I will not be consulted by you" (Ez 20:3 NEB). Then followed a long account of Israel's deliberate disobedience: idolatry, desecration of the Sabbath, human sacrifice, revolt, rebellion, and trespassing all God's laws.

"You are still defiling yourselves...how can I let you consult me?" (Ez 20:31). Only the pure in heart--those who desire nothing but the will of God--can expect his counsel and guidance.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me (Ps 51:10 AV).

To pray that prayer is to accept the obligation to be obedient in all that is known of God's will.

No comments: