Monday, July 27, 2009

Learning to relax, not worry

While I was flicking through all the channels on TV to try and find something decent to watch so I could have some time out, I was thinking more about relaxing and God's thoughts on the matter, after my last blog. I remembered that God commands us to not worry (Matthew 6:25-34), and not to be anxious (Philippians 4:6-7). He tells us to cast our cares on Him (1 Peter 5:6-7).

So if 'relaxing' is learning to stop worrying, perhaps it is something God wants me to do. A number of years back a good friend gave me a book by Joyce Myer, "Be Anxious for Nothing". Joyce writes (p27):

"How many years of my life did I waste, tormenting myself with needless worry and anxiety, trying to handle things that were not mine to handle? I was always a responsible person, but in an addition to the responsibility for my life I took on the care of it. According to the Bible we are to handle our responsibility, but we are to cast our care upon the Lord because He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7)."


Lord, help me to cast my cares on You, to relax in Your Mighty hands.

No comments: