Sunday, July 12, 2009

The only One who's trustworthy - my Rock & Refuge

So tonight's message at Church got me thinking... the sermon was actually about the popular book and movie, "Angels and Demons" and dispelling the myth that "you can't trust the church".  But I was a little worried about it, not the whole sermon, just the trusting the church bit.  I realise there's value in helping people understanding the authenticity of the Bible which I think tonight was also about, however I think we need to be encouraging people to think about whether they can trust Jesus, not the church.  

Ultimately, churches will fail at being 'trustworthy' - not meaning to be cynical, but realistic. All of us in churches are sinful people, who though we try to be like Jesus, never will be here on earth, we will always struggle with our sinful nature as Paul says.  So if we try and prove the trustworthiness of our churches, people will most likely be very disappointed.

If on the other hand we try and help people see that Jesus can be trusted 100%, they won't be disappointed.  Jesus never disappoints.  Jesus is the Author and Perfecter of our faith.  He is the only one we can trust completely, anywhere, anytime.

I must have been having a real thinking night because I struggled with the first line of our final song.  It's too easy to just rattle off words of songs and not really think about what they mean. It says, "Rock of Ages, cleft for me".  I had no idea what cleft for me meant.  A friend said she thought it referred to a cleft in a rock, like a hiding place, which makes sense when you look at the second line of the song, "Let me hide myself in Thee".  Google wants me to look at cleft palates, thanks Google!... but the dictionary defines it as a, "a small indentation in a surface, for example, skin or land".  So the cleft in the rock where we can hide seems to make sense.  

I'd love to know how many other people actually know what that first line means.  I thought 'cleft' was verb, that it was something Jesus had done for me, but I realise now it's a noun, that Jesus is my 'cleft', at least I think that's what it means?  Not sure I'll be telling too many people that Jesus is my 'cleft' though, I think I'd rather tell them that He's my Rock and Refuge, or something else they're likely to understand.

Anyway, I think that's enough thinking for tonight.

Thanks Lord that You are my Solid Rock and my Refuge, thanks that I can trust you completely. Help me to trust you with every part of my being, to know deep within that You are my Rock and Refuge.  




No comments: