Monday, July 27, 2009

Learning to Relax, or at least Rest

I just did one of those personality profile tests online, and came out with an ISFJ profile, which is the same profile I came out with when I did my first Myers-Briggs test at AGL about ten years ago.

There are some joke prayers that have been put together for each type. The one for an ISFJ is, "Lord, help me to be more laid back and help me to do it EXACTLY right."

Yeah, ten years on that's still a struggle. Who would have ever thought it could be so hard to learn to relax! But hang on, my detailed mind wants to know where God gives me the OK to relax. Anyone?!

I typed "relaxing" into the search box on Bible Gateway, and there were no search results found.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm serious!! Does God think it's important for me to learn to relax? I don't know that I've ever heard anyone preach about the importance of relaxing. Is that because God doesn't say it's important?

Oh, hang on. On the seventh day, God rested! The Sabbath. Oh yeah. OK, But is resting the same as relaxing?!

Aagh, think I should try and have a rest now anyway... if rest was good enough for God, it's good enough for me.

No comments: