Monday, July 6, 2009

Where is the Morning?

A while back I was sent verse 5 from Psalm 30 as an encouragement: "weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning".  Maybe it's not meant to be taken literally (ie. the night and morning bit)? Perhaps it's implying that a 'new day', or maybe even a better way to put it is a new season, will dawn eventually, and with that comes rejoicing?  

Later in the same Psalm, David says, "You turned my wailing into dancing: you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy".   

And Philippians 4:4 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!"  These words can sound a bit like a cliche and the word "rejoice" isn't really a word we use much anymore. but I guess the key is "Rejoicing IN THE LORD", that I need to find my joy in Him.

Habbakuk also says, "Yet I will Rejoice" in chapter 3:17-19.  This is one of my favourite quotes in the Bible.  Easy to say when times aren't too tough, but when times are tough...

Lord, help me to rejoice in You despite my circumstances, to find my hope and joy in You alone, to know that You are the giver of life, and life to the full.   Help me to trust in your faithfulness in the past and remember that with the morning (whenever that is!) rejoicing will come.  Help me to be able to truly say like Habbakuk, "Yet I will rejoice". 


No comments: