Thursday, July 23, 2009

Waiting on the Lord - Hope

Isaiah 40:29-31, "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Just realised the version (NLT) I was reading before I started blogging said, "those who WAIT on the Lord will renew their strength", but the NIV version above doesn't use the word wait. I was keen to explore what waiting on the Lord meant as we often assume waiting is a passive thing, almost like a just hanging in there and not doing anything, where actually I wondered whether it meant a very active thing, a very deliberate, conscious act. But the NIV spells it out for me anyway, it suggests that it is a more active thing I need to do: "HOPE in the Lord". Hope is definitely not a passive thing. It is a very active, deliberate, conscious act.

What does it mean to hope in the Lord? My cheat notes say to 'hope' is "to trust in or look expectantly to", and then that to 'renew' our strength is enabling our weakness to give way to God's strength, as Paul says in Corinthians.

I need to trust in God, completely. I need to look expectantly to Him. As I look expectantly to Him and put my hope in Him, He will renew my strength and help me to soar like an eagle, to run and not grow weary, to walk and not be faint. Only in Him.

Help me to put my hope in You, Father, to trust you completely. Renew my strength as only You can do. You are amazing, God.




No comments: