Thursday, July 30, 2009

Loving God first

I've been thinking about the verse in Matthew 10 where Jesus says, "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me" (v37). Ouch. As someone who has amazing parents who have been an incredible support to me, especially over the last few years, and who also has two beautiful daughters, this verse is hard.

Sarah's said to me a few times now, "Mummy, you're my best friend". It makes me cry... I love my girls, and I hope we'll still be best friends as they get older, like I am with my Mum! I think I'm starting to see why Jesus said what he did. It's so easy for our relationships with parents and/or children to become more important to us than our relationship with God - it's easy for us to focus on these relationships.

But our relationships here on earth are temporal, God must come first. When it comes to the crunch I must do what pleases God, not what pleases my daughters, my Mum and Dad, or anyone else for that matter. I must be wholly surrendered to Him.

Lord, help me to love you first, and to be prepared to do Your will whatever the cost.


No comments: