Tuesday, September 1, 2009

For such a time as this

As I've been pondering more on God's call for my life (as written in my last blog on obedience), I've taken another look at the book of Esther. As I've put on my facebook profile, I'd love to be like Esther, a woman of strength and dignity. Esther was a woman who was obedient to God.

My desire is to know the details of exactly what God wants me to do, when He wants me to do it, etc. But God's desire is for me to be obedient to Him.

Here's a snippet from the overview of Esther in my New Living Translation Touch Point Bible:

"What are you dealing with that is beyond your control? How did you get there? Realise that these are not the key questions. The key question is, Now what? What can I do to turn this difficult situation into something that serves God and others? Perhaps God has brought you into this situation "for such a time as this," so that you can turn your adversity, problems, weakness, sorrow, or grief into a special opportunity to do something wonderful for God and others."

A friend posted an inspiring, but very sad, story on her blog, about a couple who did just this - they used their tough journey as a special opportunity to glorify God. You can view a short video here, or the mother's journal here... get ready to cry if you watch the video or read the journal. It's heart-wrenching. Life really is tough sometimes.


For such a time as this...


Yes, for such a time as this... perhaps this is God's call for my life? Perhaps I didn't need God to tell me before-hand how He wanted to use me and what He wanted me to do - perhaps God in His wisdom realised if I knew before-hand what was coming I probably would have bailed out. Perhaps He just wants me to be obedient of the everydayness of life and seek to glorify Him in that, to obey Him no matter what.


Father God help me to use every part of my life to bring glory to You. May my pain and struggles be a special opportunity to do something wonderful for You and others.

No comments: