Thursday, September 17, 2009

Uniqueness

My brother dropped by tonight, and we had another good old chat about life. While we were chatting I remembered a beautiful poem my Grandma wrote for me many years ago:

God wishes for you adventure in your uniqueness
Being yourself, not someone else
Never losing sight of the fun of you... or what He wants you to be
Always remembering that you are His way of being creative

Psalm 139 talks about God creating me as "me" (knitting me together in my mother's womb), but I've been trying to think about other things the Bible say about uniqueness. There are verses about each of us being part of the body of Christ and doing our own part, and each of us being given different gifts... but not sure this necessarily means the gift is completely unique to me.

There are so many different people who God uses in so many different ways - the Bible is full of accounts of people He used whose stories are all so different, and many are stories that baffle us, like Hosea... OK, yeah God wanted to teach Israel a lesson about His faithfulness despite their unfaithfulness, but couldn't He have found another way than poor Hosea having to marry a woman who would continually be unfaithful to him by committing adultery, and who God would call him to continue to love?

I guess my uniqueness may not necessarily be the kind of uniqueness I desire, but God has made each one of unique. Recognising my uniqueness means I can let God use that uniqueness to bring glory to Him. I can be freed to be who He made me to be, rather than who everyone else expects me to be.

No comments: