Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Invisible

There are times when I would love to be invisible... when the girls have a tantrum, when I discover my fly's undone and has been all morning (yes, it happened a few weeks ago!), when I realise I've said something that I shouldn't have...

And there are times when I feel like I'm invisible but wish I wasn't.

In the movie Big Daddy, a little boy is given some sunglasses and told that when he wears them he'll be invisible, to try and help him overcome his fear of others... So he uses them whenever he feels scared and believes that he's invisible (though of course he's not).

Why am I pondering this?

I think I've realised as I've been going through a tough journey that often times you feel like you're invisible. The kind of invisible that you want to be because it's too difficult to deal with, but the kind of invisible that you don't want to be because you need to know people care.

I've realised that so often I don't say something when someone is going through tough stuff because I don't know what to say, and I'm scared I'll want to feel invisible afterwards. But, from personal experience, I've really appreciated people who've said something. The majority of the time, we'll never understand exactly what the other person's going through, but we don't have to in order to help and support them. Sometimes a simple acknowledgment is all it takes.

Maybe being invisible isn't all it's cracked up to be?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hi Alison,

I've been reading your blog since I discovered it last week - thanks for being willing to share these thoughts and experiences with us.

I'm not sure what's happening for you at the moment, but I gather you are having a hard time. I'm encouraged by the way you're leaning on God in the midst of it.

I will pray for you in whatever it is that is happening - that God will continue to strengthen you and you'll continue to draw near to him,

Love Nicole