Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Obedient???

I've been thinking a lot about the sermon on Sunday night about Jeremiah, and the need for us to be obedient to God's call for our lives. It was a great message. When we give excuses, even if they're legitimate, God says, "I don't care" - He wants us to be obedient. He will be our Strength when we are weak. Even when His way doesn't make sense to us, He knows what He's doing. We just need to trust Him and be obedient.

My only struggle with what is I heard is, what is God calling me to? God has left clear instructions in His Word about the way I should live and I need to obey these instructions, but in terms of specific instructions as to what He would have Alison Young do, or His call for my life, that's not so clear... at least I don't think it is yet. I guess at times in the past it has been.

If God gave me a clear message, like He did with Jeremiah (chapter 1), it'd make the obedience part simpler. Or would it? Often what God calls to do is uncomfortable, difficult, and different to what we would like to do.

I guess for me at the moment God's made it pretty clear that the magazine and Kids Hope are two ministries He wants me involved with at this point in time. And of course, being a Mum to my girls and helping them to learn about Him.

In verse 12, God says, "... and I will certainly carry out my plans." God is sovereign, He's in control and working out His plans.

Back to that good old Proverb again, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."


Lord, help me to trust You, even when I don't understand, and to be obedient even when it's uncomfortable and difficult. Thank You that You are Sovereign and working out Your plans. Give me Your Wisdom and by Your Spirit, guide my thoughts and my actions. Help me to surrender to You completely.

No comments: