Saturday, September 26, 2009

He is Sovereign

A few days ago I started looking at different aspects of God's character, and pondering about my fear of the future in light of His character. Here are the characteristics I've explored so far:

1 God will be my confidence
2 God will sustain me, carry me and rescue me

Today I'm thinking about God being Sovereign, as indicated in Psalm 71:5. "For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth."

I think another part of my fear of the future is around making mistakes and wrong choices. What if I stuff up? What if I have already stuffed up? The fact that God is Sovereign gives me hope - it is God who is ultimately in control. I have to admit I don't completely understand how this fits in with our free will, and how there is suffering in the world and in our lives if God is Sovereign, but I do know that even Jesus, God's own Son, suffered... so for some reason it seems God's doesn't see suffering the same way as we do. God seems to use suffering as part of His greater plan. I know this presents lots of questions for most of us... but I need to remember that my understanding and wisdom is finite, while God's is infinite.

Regardless of what I think and all the whys, God is Sovereign. That's what His Word tells me. He has supreme authority and power.

How does this fit with my fear of the future? It tells me that I don't need to be scared of stuffing up - ultimately, God will have His way, ultimately He is in control. The verse also talks about God being my hope, and once again, my confidence.

No comments: