Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Provider

Tonight I came home to a lovely surprise - a beautiful bunch of flowers and an encouraging card - from one of my best friends. She's been a great support, especially this year.

Then been reflecting on some verses from Hosea.

"... stay away from idols! I am the one who answers your prayers and cares for you. I am like a tree that is always green, all your fruit comes from me." Hosea 14:8

Sometimes I think maybe I make relationships a bit of an idol. I can almost put them before God sometimes, and want these relationships to provide the fulfillment I so desperately desire. I need to be careful that they are not my idol. God did create us for relationship with each other too, so I'm not saying relationships aren't important in any way, just that God must come first. Anything that comes before Him becomes an idol.

God is the one who provides for my every need, who enables me to produce fruit in every season, the good and the bad. I need to depend on Him. He is the one who is consistent.

On a lighter note, this morning we had an 'eventful' start to our day when we arrived at the shops. Neither of the girls would sit in the pram, and Lucy insisted on me holding her. So I put the pram on the travelator and without thinking let go to help Sarah get on, but I'd forgotten to put the brakes on the pram so it kept flying down, hurtling towards the lady in front. I was desperately yelling out to her, "Excuse me, look out, there's a pram coming.... sorry!!!", but it was like one of those horrible nightmares where you're screaming but no-one can hear you. Finally she turned around, at the last possible moment, just like in a movie, and grabbed the pram. Phew!

Sarah said, "Oh no, Mummy, our pram!!". I told her I wasn't really worried about the pram, I was worried about the lady. Thankfully she was fine.


No comments: