Sunday, October 11, 2009

Do not be anxious

Years ago a good friend gave me a book by Joyce Myer on this very topic - do not be anxious about anything! God knows us intimately, He knows we often get anxious. In Philippians we're told not to be anxious. Joyce emphasises that this is a command - not just something that is good to do, but something God commands us to do.


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)


Instead of being anxious, the verses tells me IN EVERYTHING, to bring my requests to God. It says to bring them with thanksgiving... as my Dad reminded me this morning I should thank God for the good gifts He has given me... and I should thank Him for who He is, for being my Rock and Refuge, and for His faithfulness.

The next verse is even better... as a result of taking my requests to God and thanking Him, God will give me His peace. This peace will "guard my heart and my mind". It's a peace that is beyond our understanding, a peace that only God can give.

No comments: