Thursday, August 6, 2009

Be Still

I was talking to Mike (one of our Pastors) about the question I blogged about on relaxing/resting, and he reminded me of Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God", that God commands us to be still. It came up in the context of motherhood, especially the situation I'm currently in, and the fact that it's difficult to make time to be still. I'm also a real doer and so don't allow myself to be still (she says as she types... doing something, of course).

I'm not good at being still. I love the song Steven Curtis Chapman wrote on the topic, Be still and know that He is God - another song that I have cried listening to many times over the last few years. Yeah, I'm inclined to be a little emotional. He sings:

Be still and know that He is God
Be still and know that He is holy
Be still oh restless soul of mine
Bow before the prince of Peace
Let the noise and clamor cease

Be still and know that He is God
Be still and know that He is faithful
Consider all that He has done
Stand in awe and be amazed
And know that He will never change
Be still

Be speechless

Be still and know that He is God
Be still and know He is our Father
Come rest your head upon His breast
Listen to the rhythm of
His unfailing heart of love
Beating for His little ones
Calling each of us to come
Be still

Father, help me to be still, to know that You are God, that You are my God. Help me to come to you with my restless soul, to let the noise and clamour cease, to be still, to know that You will never change, to know Your unfailing heart of love. Help me to cast aside my desire to get on and "do" and to enjoy being in relationship with You.

No comments: