Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Heart Like His

I'd forgotten about this excellent book that a friend from Texas, who stayed with our family for a couple of weeks about 15 years ago, highly recommended. I find it's easy reading (not too techy), and it's been so encouraging. I think it was good reading it earlier in life before I had much life experience, but it's also great reading it again now, having been through some pretty tough life experiences - it's now even more relevant and encouraging.

Rebecca Manley Pippert is the author and she looks at the life of David and his humanness and love for God. She writes (p11), "David did not plaster on a saccharine smile... Instead, he wept until he could weep no more, and then he 'strengthened himself in the Lord'. David danced; he cried; he made mistakes; he had trouble with his children; he expressed his pain, his fear, his confusion and anger with raw honesty to God. How we need David's example of earthly spirituality! His humanity strengthened his faith and made it easier to trust God. And as he trusted God, he became more like God."

Perhaps this is where my passion for the Psalms first grew? I love the Psalms for that very reason - they express heart-felt pain, confusion, mourning and at the same time, gratitude, praise and thankfulness to God for who He is and for His faithfulness. They display the messiness and ugliness of life lived with a strong confidence that we are walking with a faithful, loving, 100% reliable God.

That's what I want my girls to see. A Mum who, like David, comes to God questions and all, tears and all, and acknowledges that life is tough, but who goes on to thank God for the amazing God that He is, for His steadfast love, for being my Refuge and Solid Rock, for providing for my every need, and for giving me strength to face the trials in life.

Lord, may Sarah and Lucy know come to Your faithfulness for themselves. May they see that its OK, and even important, to bring everything to You, to come to You just as we are, hurts and all. May they be able to praise You for who You are, for Your love and faithfulness. You are amazing God.


No comments: