Friday, August 14, 2009

Contentment

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

So what exactly is the secret to being content that Paul is talking about? He goes on to say, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11b-13)

Hmmm. Says it all. I'd love to be able to say this as Paul did. But I don't know that I can all the time... I might be aware in my head that I can do all things through Jesus who gives me strength, but I don't necessarily let this truth affect my heart and change my attitude.

I wrote a song based on these verses a few years back, and it still fits really.

"In this land where my heart feels weak
Shadows overwhelm
But the darkness is I see, is taken away
As I look to the Light of the world

Whether in want or in plenty
My soul can find new strength
As I look to You, Lord
I find my peace
Through You I am content

There is a secret to being content
Found in You alone
As Your Spirit is working to help me change
I trust in all of Your ways

In everything I do
Lord, give me Your strength
So that I might honour You"

No comments: