Saturday, January 16, 2010

Beautiful Scars

Earlier this week while I was in the office working on the magazine, I decided to do something spontaneous - very un-Alison - and invited my friend to head over to Koorong with me at lunch-time. I was hoping to buy John Piper's book on Ruth, "A Sweet and Bitter Providence", but I discovered that I'd done my usual jump the gun and it's not out till February.

So instead I bought two copies of his book "When the darkness will not lift" (one for my friend and one for me) which I've been blogging about a bit the last few days. I started reading it while my friend did some more shopping, and then we had lunch together. It was good to be able to chat a bit more about the struggles of life. I warned her that I wasn't sure how helpful the book would be as I hadn't read it before and the first few pages were pretty intense, but was hoping we'd find some gems in it, which I certainly have. Next time I go to Koorong I'm planning to get more to give to other friends in the future - it's such a great read.

I also bought another Steven Curtis Chapman CD "This Moment, Cinderella Edition" because it was on the $10 bargain table and I like most of his music (especially the words). I also thought I could do with some new music to listen to. It's been playing in the car the last few days and so many of the songs have excellent words.

One song that I've been pondering about a fair bit the last few days is called "Beautiful Scars". I'd never quite thought of a scar as being beautiful, But he sings:

"Sit here with me
And tell me your story
Even if it breaks my heart
Let me see your scars
Shame will whisper
Oh, but we can't listen
'Cause these are the stories that make us who we are
And I love who you are and your

Beautiful scars, your beautiful scars,
Reminders of the wounded love
that has carried us this far
Beautiful scars
Turning the marks of our pain
into beautiful scars

For us, bruised and broken
For us, He was forsaken
Our wounded Healer
Suffered to set us free
See in His hands and His feet

Beautiful scars, beautiful scars
Reminds of the Saviour's love
That has carried us this far
Turning the marks of our pain
into beautiful scars"



I look back at last year and see my lack of surrender to God, particularly in one area of my life. God clearly told me to wait at times, but I didn't listen. But despite all that, I know God can still use me, mistakes and all, to bring glory to Him. I am reminded of how amazing God's grace truly is - that He died for me, sin, failings and all. That's what makes them beautiful scars - as the song says, the marks of my pain remind me of Jesus' love that has carried me this far.

No comments: