Monday, January 11, 2010

Cease Striving

Tonight in our peer mentor group (basically a few women wanting to keep growing in our walk with God - to support, challenge and encourage each other), Lorraine shared a few verses that have been special to her over the years. She's an older lady with lots of life experience so it was great to hear some of her stories and how God's spoken to her through His Word. It's so good being able to share life together.

As I've been pondering more about what we discussed, I couldn't help but think about the verse in one of my devotionals a few days ago: CEASE STRIVING AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD. It's the New American Standard Bible version of Psalm 46:10 that we usually remember as "Be still and know that I am God".

For me, 'cease striving' is a really helpful way to think of being still - stop trying so hard to figure it all out. Cease striving.

It's a struggle.

But God's teaching me that if I cease striving, then I can let Him be God, and then the glory will go to Him.

I'm sure there'll be many more times I'll fail to cease striving, but I'm also sure God will continue to remind me of His Words: cease striving. Be still. CEASE STRIVING. Know that I am God.

No comments: