Sunday, January 17, 2010

Looking Beyond Myself

This morning we visited another church we've visited a few times recently, and I was reminded that I've still got a long way to go in the healing process in some ways.

I've really been challenged as I've read "When the darkness will not lift" by John Piper, and realised how utterly self-absorbed I've become. Yesterday at the park I had a chat to lady there with her little girl, but it took a lot of effort. This morning I didn't make the effort - I had troubles looking beyond myself and my own needs. I was focusing on my own hurts, and not looking out for other peoples'. Some of the words I'd been reading in Piper's book really hit hard again:

Sometimes the darkness of our souls is owing in part to the fact that we have drifted into patterns of life that are not blatantly sinful but are constricted and uncaring. (p61)

Unconsciously we have become very self-absorbed and oblivious and uncaring toward the pain and suffering in the world that is far worse than our own. (p62)


I also love the way Piper then goes on to say:

What makes [the gospel] good news is that God is long-suffering and willing to forgive and start over with us again and again.

It may be, in the mercy of God, that as we wait for the light to go up, we can do poorly what we would love to do well. (p68)



Yep, I'd say I'll be doing it poorly for a while yet, but God is good, and He tells me that He will be my Strength.

No comments: