Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bitter Providence

I've read about Ruth (the book of the Bible) on a few people's blogs today, so had another read of it for myself. It's been a very long time since I last read it.

John Piper's book A Sweet and Bitter Providence sounds like an interesting read. There's a brief video about it on the Desiring God website.

Still pondering why God specifically drew me to the book of Ruth. As I read John's comments about Ruth this stands out:

Is God's bitter providence the last word?... Everywhere I look in the world today, whether near or far, the issue for real people in real life is, Can I trust and love the God who has dealt me this painful hand in life? That is the question the book of Ruth intends to answer.


Bitter providence. Divorced. Now what? In the hands of our Sovereign God. The end of the story is yet to be written.

No comments: