Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Doing what we can while we wait

Just reading "When the Darkness will not Lift" by John Piper. On the front cover it says, "Doing what we can while we wait for God... and joy".

It's full-on reading, but I'm finding some gems like this (p21):

Start at the easiest place for those in darkness. Start with despair. Despair of finding any answer in yourself. I pray that you will cease from all efforts to look inside yourself for the rescue you need. I pray that you will do what only desperate people can do, namely, cast yourself on Christ. May you say to him, "You are my only hope. I have no righteousness in myself. I am overwhelmed with sin and guilt. I am under the wrath of God. My own conscience condemns me, and makes me miserable. I am perishing. Darkness is all about me. Have mercy upon me. I trust you.

He has promised not to turn you away, "Whoever comes to me I will never cast out" (John 6:37. By this act of faith God will unite you to Jesus. You will be "in him," and in him you will be now and forever loved, forgiven and righteous. The light will rise in your darkness in due time. God will hold onto you (Jude 24).


Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you (Psalm 55:22a).

No comments: