Monday, January 18, 2010

A New Little Life

Tonight Mum and I visited my cousin who had just delivered her first baby, a little boy, early this morning.

As we walked through the hospital, the smells brought back a few memories of giving birth to Sarah and Lucy, but particularly Sarah - it took me back to the week I was in hospital waiting for Sarah to arrive, not knowing how long I would be in there, and being scared for her safety. It also took me back to the moment I sang while I had my shower after giving birth to little Sarah, "I have known the Father's care for me, He's been good, He's been good, through it all He's always there for me, God's been good to me. Through the storm, through the night, come what may, everything will be alright. I have known the Father's care for me, yes, God's been good to me."

My cousin looked really relaxed, and not completely exhausted, which surprised me considering she'd given birth not that long ago! Her little boy was very cute with lots of hair - I had a little hold and was reminded just how precious each little life is, and what a creative God we have. I've already forgotten how tiny Sarah and Lucy were when they were born - Sarah was probably a little over half the size of the little bub I was holding.

I wondered what it must be like to have your newborn with you after giving birth to them, how wonderful it would be to be able to pick them up when they cry and to comfort them. I remembered the agony of leaving your newborn in a humidi crib and not being able to hold or touch her, of not being with her. And my babies weren't even as premature as many other babies are. But I also remember God reminding me that He was with my little girl, just as He was with me.

Today, another little life entered the world, a little life that is so special to God. He's a gorgeous little boy who God made unique and special. I'm really excited for my cousin and her husband - lots of special memories to be had.

No comments: