Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First day back at school

The girls are back at 'school' this morning, and I forgot how difficult the first day of school often is. Thankfully most of the other kids went back yesterday so had adjusted a bit before the girls went back. Poor Sarah was very upset this morning and didn't want to go to school, but thanks to Spot (yeah, remember those good old Spot books?), she agreed to get in the car without anymore screaming. It's a "Spot goes to school" book with pictures of all the fun things he does at school, like painting, which we rarely do at home because it makes such a mess!

Oh, and we made up a "Spot loves school" song which helped too. At school they learnt a song about packing away which is cute - singing seems to really help, especially with transitions. Anything that helps is good! I find the singing is really good with my girls.

To my surprise, neither of them actually cried when I left, though they did look pretty sad. But I guess that's to be expected. Even more surprising, I didn't cry. There were lots of mornings last year, especially when they first started at school and when they were very upset, where I just sat in the car and balled my eyes out, and calling my support hotline (Mum) for reassurance that I was doing the right thing. But as they say it does get easier, and I know it has been good for all of us.

Now it's time to get back to work - the deadline for submissions for the magazine was yesterday so I need to get my act together. Two weeks before we go to print... four days to 'focus' on getting it done. Good thing God's got it all under control and a number of people had sent in their articles last week.

No comments: