Sunday, January 17, 2010

Being Guided

So tonight's message was on guidance. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting from the sermon, but what I heard wasn't what I expected, but it was really good.

James said that there are three key elements to listening to our Good Shepherd's voice: the Bible, prayer and other people from God's family. He also highlighted that God's Spirit is at work in all of these aspects, helping us to understand God's Word and speaking through other people.

Again, I sensed God very clearly telling me to "wait". I looked back over the last two weeks or so and saw God showing me clearly through His Word, as I prayed and through other friends and family that I need to wait. So this message on guidance was timely again, reminding me to rest in God to wait, and He will show me the next step in His timing. James shared Psalm 23 reminding me that God will make me lie down in green pastures and lead me beside quiet waters, that He will restore my soul and guide me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. He is the Good Shepherd.

I guess I was expecting to come away with a 'formula' for working out the next step or something, and I guess in a sense God gave me that - fix my eyes on Jesus, the Good Shepherd and listen to His voice alone through His Word, prayer and other Christians. Wait. Rest. Be still and know that I am God.

No comments: